Health and Safety Manager
Soil Engineering are a long established leader in the UK Geotechnical Sector. Delivering both Ground Investigation and Drill and Grout services from three bases across the country, we are capable of undertaking a wide range of investigative and remediation techniques.
Supporting our Ground Investigation business, we maintain one of the country’s largest single site Geotechnical Laboratories, UKAS accredited for over 40 test disciplines, which undertakes testing for internal and external projects. The laboratory also maintains our In-Situ testing capability, including CBR and Plate Bearing tests.
Soil Engineering’s greatest resource is our people. Specialists in their field, benefitting from extensive training, expert support, and long term career development through delivering excellent projects for our clients, our people are at the heart of everything we do.
With cultural training and development through our HomeSafe+People programme, support from our in-house Safety, Training and HR departments, and through a tradition of meeting ambition with opportunity, our people bring the best out of each other through working in specialist teams supported by highly experienced Managers.
To complement and strengthen our team, we’re recruiting a SHE Manager to provide support with competent advice regarding health, safety and welfare provision, and hands on support to project teams regarding H&S requirements, including assisting the completion of appropriate documentation, engagement visits and audits.
The role is based in Leeds but there will be travel required to visit our sites.
In return for your expertise, and enthusiasm, we offer a competitive remuneration package including:
- Company Car
- Company Pension Scheme
- Private Medical Cover
- Life Assurance
- A Comprehensive Wellbeing Programme
- Employee Perks (Discount programme)
- Professional Membership Support
The detailed Job Description is below:
Key tasks will include, but are not limited to:
- Provide direction and assistance in the preparation, development and maintenance of the existing H&S management systems.
- Immediately notify the Directors and Management if situations are found, that may require immediate rectification or the stopping of any operation.
- Ensure that all “assessments” as required by legislation are conducted and reviewed at relevant intervals and to ensure appropriate records are maintained of the activities.
- Conduct workplace health and safety inspections notifying Directors and Management if corrective actions required and agreed after any workplace health and safety inspection are not implemented in good time.
- To highlight areas where training / certification is required to meet the standards imposed by Legislation, Approved Codes of Practice, or H.S.E. guidance.
- To provide support and assistance to the Pre-Construction Team prior to the submission of significant tenders.
- To support Project Teams to achieve both Company and client expectations regarding Health and Safety.
- To provide support and assistance in connection with the development of H&S documentation including (but not limited to) Risk Assessments, Method Statements, Toolbox Talks, Evacuation Plans, Fire Plans, Emergency Plans, Permits, Inductions, etc.
- To provide support during investigations into all accidents, near-misses and incidents.
- To advise the Directors and Management of all incidents reportable under R.I.D.D.O.R. including notification where appropriate to to the H.S.E.
- In conjunction with Directors and Management build on the +People Culture programme and continue to develop and provide bespoke Health & Safety training for employees.
- When required attend UK Group H & S meetings and share experiences and promote good practice.
- To be involved and where required lead and/or contribute to UK group SHEQ initiatives.
- Produce monthly management reports, newsletters and bulletins as required, regarding H&S Performance and initiatives.
- Attend Pre-Tender Meetings and Client safety meetings when required.
- To set a personal example by observing all safety requirements/procedures.
- Membership of IOSH – Chartered (essential)
- NEBOSH Construction Certificate – or equivalent (essential)
- NEBOSH Fire certificate – or equivalent (desired but not essential)
- NEBOSH Environmental Certificate or equivalent (desired but not essential)
- Appropriate CSCS card (desired but not essential)
- Training qualifications in construction related areas (desired but not essential)
- Full UK driving licence (essential)
- Experience of managing Health and Safety at a management level.
- Significant Construction/Civil Engineering/Geotechnical Engineering experience. Experience with ground investigation/land drilling would be advantageous
- A desire to continuously pursue innovation and development in connection with Health & Safety, with a focus on the development of an improved culture of safety.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills are required, coupled with an ability to form effective relationships with colleagues under pressure.
- Comfortable in demanding client situations.
- A personal commitment to improving Safety, Health and Wellbeing standards in the workplace
- Ability to develop strong relationships and communicate across all levels
- Willingness to travel and stay away from home when required
- Experience in the production of safety reports, briefing documents, and procedures
- Ability to apply relevant legislation in a practical manner
- Experience with behavioural safety techniques
- Experience of incident investigation and root cause analysis
Whilst the role is based from our Leeds office, it will involve working alongside our Project teams across the UK, and as such frequent travel will be required as needed.