Project Manager – Ground Investigation
To complement and strengthen our existing team, we are looking for a Project Manager, with experience in the Ground Investigation sector.
You will manage day to day operational control of multiple contracts within the region, focusing on safety, quality, productivity, cost control, performance to programme and customer service, alongside maintaining commercial awareness ensuring the Company is not exposed financially and to achievement of full margins from operational activities.
You will manage contracts to ensure they perform in line with budget and to maintain a motivated, effective and safety conscious workforce, and good client relations.
Key Tasks include:
- Assist Senior Management in allocating rigs and labour to contracts and ensuring efficient use of resources.
- Meeting clients/clients representatives (e.g. project manager/CDM co-ordinator) at pre-contract stage where required by attending pre-contract meetings.
- Communicating contract/clients requirements to subordinate engineers and site teams. (including allocation of individual contract roles and responsibilities).
- On-site and remote supervision and management of multiple contract works ensuring the works are carried out correctly, efficiently (on programme), safely and in accordance with the contract specification (including technical guidance) and Company quality procedures.
- Produce/Approve safety documentation (including CDM Safety Plan) where required, method statements and quality plans as required.
- Provide assistance to site management team, in liaison with safety, quality, commercial and estimating departments.
- Procurement of plant & equipment for contracts.
- Ensuring plant and equipment is suitable, efficiently utilised, on & off hired promptly and not abused.
- Procurement/Appointment & control of Subcontractors including ensuring required safety and work standard is attained.
- Review and sign off sub-contractor payment certificates.
- Direct, where required, borehole location and sampling, specifying and interpreting in-situ testing, preparation and review of laboratory test schedules, control of samples, preparation (where required) and checking of contract technical output (borehole logs & test results).
- Production of contract reports, (writing, compilation, checking and issue of reports).
- Review weekly internal timesheets from current contracts and set production targets to site teams prior to submission to Contracts Manager/Payroll.
- Monitor weekly progress against programme requirements, establishing weekly contract values, costs and sub contract liabilities.
- Ensure required site outputs and reports are produced (progress/safety/commercial/quality).
- Financially review contracts with Senior Management, to obtain optimum progress and returns.
- Monitor financial and commercial performance of allocated contracts.
- Progress works, and attend progress meetings with client/clients representatives as required.
- Oversee contract correspondence and ensure that it is dealt with.
- Liaison with commercial department and following up works through to final account settlement (including production of monthly applications).
- Provide feedback to relevant departments to assist with pricing, programming and on site operations.
- Encourage best practice.
- Identify and pursue cost reduction and efficiency initiatives with subordinate engineers and site teams.
- Review monthly applications for payment and final account applications.
- Preparation of relevant weekly/monthly CVR’s.
Knowledge and Experience Required:
- Civil Engineering / Geology related Degree or equivalent qualification.
- Significant experience within the geotechnical industry with solid understanding of ground conditions, Drilling and Site Investigation works.
- Good understanding of geotechnical processes and contract management.
- Excellent understanding of written English and good standard of letter writing.
- Strong IT skills, including Microsoft office, database maintenance and reporting.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills to liaise with clients and members of the regional team.
- Good customer-service focus and a professional approach.
- Full UK driving licence.
- Commercial knowledge and experience/level of contractual awareness.
The right candidate for the business will demonstrate the following personal attributes as a minimum:
Enthusiastic to work within a small dedicated team within a larger specialist ground engineering company.
Flexibility to carry out duties not part of their normal remit in the interests of the team.
Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines and with own initiative, as judgements and decisions taken on a daily basis for both simple and complex tasks.
Ability to delegate tasks, in order to prioritise workload and progress contracts.
Workload varies from general routine jobs to tasks carrying responsibility and requiring good planning and organisation, use of one’s own initiative.
Excellent communication skills.
Positive outlook and a ‘can do’ approach.
Both a team player and able to work alone.
Essential to provide support to others as and when required, therefore flexibility and good organisation necessary.
Outgoing and Friendly.
Ability to meet deadlines.
Pays attention to the detail to ensure works are carried out correctly as minor errors could result in significant financial, quality, time, costs, legal, safety, client implications.
Ability to comprehend current and anticipate future problems of both a construction and commercial nature.
Based out of one of our Regional Offices (Leeds and Camberley), the role involves frequent travel throughout the UK, visiting sites, including periods of site based work where required.
We took the opportunity to both develop our staff AND maintain our high technical standards with a chalk logging se… https://t.co/W9dZOzrc54